Photo: Aesthetic Life Studio
We’re loving the recent trends of unique and nontraditional centerpieces. From fruit to twine, these creative ideas can introduce a different kind of aesthetic into your reception décor. Whether you are up for a fun, artsy, or quirky centerpiece or a more traditional elegant flower or candle arrangement, use the tips below to help find that perfect balance of eye-catching focal point and budget-friendly price. And then send us pictures!
1. Get Fruity: Fruit in a bowl is an elegant, beautiful, colorful and inexpensive centerpiece option. You or a family member can easily do this yourself for only a few dollars a piece, depending on your fruit of choice and how many are needed to fill your container. The key is to find that perfect bowl, vase, or container to display the fruit in. Find that perfect piece at a Crate and Barrel Outlet, Jo-Ann, A.C. Moore, Michael’s, Dollar Tree, etc., and then fill it with fruit that complements your wedding colors. Some best bets—lemons, limes, green or red apples, or oranges. Love this look! You’ll have to pick out your fruit the day or so before the wedding to make sure it is beautiful, so this is the perfect bridesmaid outing the afternoon before the rehearsal or job for that cousin you would like to be involved! The end result—a breathtaking centerpiece for a fantastic price!
2. Go Floral: There are so many fabulous ways to include flowers in your centerpieces at any price. Quick tips: Choose inexpensive flowers, use only a touch of flowers, buy your own vases, or go for silk flowers. For details, read our flowers article.
3. Browse the pre-made centerpieces at your favorite home store. Stores like Bed Bath and Beyond, Kohl’s, The Bon-Ton, or Target have collections of some pretty fabulous centerpieces that could be perfect for your wedding. These centerpieces range from beautifully arranged candles in elegant candle holders to unique and trendy balls of twine in a bowl to earthy sand and pebbles with tea candles, to name a few. There are so many gorgeous options that could fit well with the tone of any wedding. And there are some hard core pros when it comes to cost—many of these frequently go on sale for $15 to $25. Combine that very reasonable price with a Bed Bath and Beyond coupon or Kohl’s cash and you have an awesome deal for a complete centerpiece! And they are so easy! Everything is right there- you just need to take it out of the box and set it up. Plus, you can change one or two elements to give it your personal touch.
4. Go with candles. (Wistful sigh) Candles are just beautiful and romantic- there is something about that soft glow of candlelight that just screams getting married. So it’s no wonder that so many brides are opting to go with centerpieces of candles rather than the traditional flowers. And there are soooooooo many options. As a Belle on a Budget though, make sure you keep in mind that candles are not always cheaper than flowers- it completely depends on what you are doing with the candles, where you are buying them, and how many and what types of candles you need. Also, remember, before you get your heart set on candles centerpieces to ask your event manager if lighted candles are allowed and under what conditions (some require candles to be votive or g lass holder, some have restrictions on how many lighted candles) this will lay out your parameters right away. After that- dig into the money saving tips here- because you know we have plenty to say on how you can score those candles for cheap!
5. Be eclectic. Try having a completely unique centerpiece for each table or a few centerpieces that you alternate among the tables. This not only gives each of the tables an original look, but it also helps to maximize your savings on your centerpieces. Instead of having to find 10 or 20 of the same centerpieces at a good price, you can use those three centerpieces you found on sale, and those complementary pieces you scored for cheap at antique shop, and that perfect candle set you found at a yard sale. Unify the look with the same color of candles or one bud of your wedding flower artfully placed at each centerpiece.
6. Stay simple—Some of the most beautiful centerpieces we’ve seen are the most simple and straightforward, not to mention cost efficient. Take wildflowers oh so casually thrown in mason jars—love, love, love. Stick with centerpieces that have a few carefully selected elements and let that simple elegance shine through.
7. Incorporate just a touch of flowers. As we discussed here, instead of having large floral arrangements, try a touch of flowers to cut down on your florist expenses. Strategically place your favorite bud in water for a whimsical floating flower look or at the base of candles for classic romance. One very simple (and cheap!) idea? Get cylinder vases like these from the Dollar Tree, fill with water, and have one full flower like a peony, gerber daisy, or gardenia floating on top. Group in three for breathtaking centerpiece. Depending on the type of flower you use, you could easily score these for less than $10 a table!
8. Make them edible— Having a small cake or a display of cupcakes at the center of your table makes a beautiful focal point while eliminating the need for an additional centerpiece and avoiding the cost of a large wedding cake. Can’t part with a large traditional wedding cake? What about skipping the candy buffet and putting a miniature version on each table? Have three containers displaying eye-catching candy that you scored for cheap. Fun (and interactive!) and very affordable!
9. Go to the supermarket. Grocery stores are brimming with potential wedding supplies, and thinking out of the box in this way can equal huge savings for you, since you aren’t paying for all of those traditional “wedding” items. Besides fruit (see above), the bean aisle may just become your new best friend. We’ve seen some trendy centerpieces with black beans, lentils, and split peas in them. Or try coffee beans! Use them as you would sand or glass marbles in the bases on hurricane classes or vases, or to steady candles. This is a frugal way to incorporate color and texture into your centerpieces and creates a creative and stylish look for just a few bucks! Even better- wait for sales and then use your manufacturer coupons or store coupons to get an awesome deal.
10. Match your theme—With so many different wedding themes, the possibilities for that perfect stylish centerpiece for your big day are endless! Use the tips all over Belles for scoring deals on basic supplies and ways to cut costs, and then go crazy with designing that fabulous centerpiece that is so uniquely yours.